- Candidates with a Master’s Degree in Materials and Metallurgical Engineering of FUOYE or any other recognized institution, which must have a CGPA of 3.50 (out of 5.0) or its equivalent (60% aggregate), in the final Master’s Degree shall qualify for admission into the Ph.D. Programme.
- Candidates with a Master’s Degree in Materials and Metallurgical Engineering of FUOYE or any other recognized institution, which have a CGPA of between 3.00 to 3.49 (out of 5.0) or its equivalent (55-59% aggregate), in the final Master’s Degree or its equivalents, shall qualify for admission into the MPhil/ Ph.D. Programme.
Note: M.Phil/Ph.D Conversion Programme
A candidate may be presented for PhD conversion examination after a minimum of three (3) semesters which is organized by the Postgraduate School. Candidate for the M. Phil/Ph.D. programme may also be required to audit and pass few related M.Eng. Courses (with zero unit) at the discretion of the supervisor with the approval of Departmental PG committee.
Candidate may be presented for Ph.D conversion examination after the third semester to be able to convert to PhD registration; candidate must not obtain less than 60% in a seminar presentation and/or written examination. The conversion examination shall be conducted in accordance with the Postgraduate School regulations.
The Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) degree to be awarded by the Postgraduate School shall be classified as Ph.D in Materials and Metallurgical Engineering (research option). The following research options/ areas are available for Ph.D programme in Materials and Metallurgical Engineering:
New Advanced Materials
Casting and Solidification Processes
Duration of the Programme
Full-time: A minimum of Six (6) semesters and a maximum of Twelve (12) semesters.
Part-time: A minimum of Eight (8) semesters and maximum Sixteen (16) semesters for
(On the expiration of the maximum duration, a candidate may apply for extension of not more than two (2) consecutive periods of two (2) semesters each, after which the studentship shall lapse).
The following are the graduation requirement for Materials and Metallurgical Engineering PhD programme.
- Candidates shall be assessed after two semesters of registration by means of a comprehensive seminar to indicate their progress and level of preparedness for continuation of the programme.
- Candidates who fail to attain a satisfactory level of performance shall be determined by the Departmental Postgraduate Committee.
- Candidates will be required to present three (3) seminars; and Oral Defence/Examination shall be conducted at the Department and Faculty level, on the Ph.D research topic prior to the submission of their thesis. Satisfactory performance at these presentations is a condition to be satisfied before an oral examination can be conducted.
- A candidate for the Ph.D Degree shall submit a thesis which shall represent an original research carried out substantially during the period of registration, and which shall make definite contribution to scholarship.
- The title of the thesis shall be submitted, at least three (3) months before the Oral Defence/examination, through the Faculty Postgraduate Committee to the Board of Postgraduate School for approval.
- The thesis shall be examined by a panel of examiners, in line with Postgraduate School regulations (all other conditions as stipulated by the Postgraduate School).
- The programme terminates after an approval of a complete research thesis has been obtained.
- The Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) degree to be awarded by the Postgraduate School shall be classified as Ph.D in Materials and Metallurgical Engineering (areas of research option).
Intensive Research Bench Work
The PhD candidates will/may be required to undergo at least four (4) to six (6) months intensive research bench work in selected and reputable research laboratories, industries or centres either within or outside the country (or both) as the case may require. As a Ph.D student in the Materials and Metallurgical Engineering fields, the laboratory bench work should be the primary focus during this period. Though, it may be unavoidably intersected by some other responsibilities such as seminars, laboratory meetings, conferences and training workshops, journal clubs, and classes. This is a condition to be satisfied before the research final seminar and oral examination can be conducted.
A Ph.D candidate may be required to audit or register for any/some Master degree course(s) at zero (0) credit unit as the case of the research area may require.
Conference Attendance, Presentation and Publications
Candidates for the Ph.D degree are encouraged to attend conferences and publish papers in NUC listed local and international conference proceedings and journals based on original research carried out during the period of registration, and which shall make definite contribution to scholarship. Satisfactory presentations are conditions to be satisfied before an oral examination can be conducted.
Annual Progress Report
Candidates for the Ph.D degree shall submit annual progress report to the School of postgraduate Studies through the Department based supervisor(s).
Candidates are required to complete three (3) seminars and an Oral Defence/Examination presented at the Department and Faculty level, on the Ph.D research topic prior to the submission of their thesis. Satisfactory performance at these presentations is a condition to be satisfied before an oral examination can be conducted.
Admission Requirements Candidates with a Master’s Degree in Materials and Metallurgical Engineering of FUOYE or any other recognized institution, which must have a CGPA of …
Admission Requirements Candidates with Bachelor degree in Materials and Metallurgical Engineering at a minimum level of Second Class Lower Division from this or any other …
Upon successful completion, a candidate for this programme shall be awarded Postgraduate Diploma Degree in Metallurgical & Materials Engineering. Admission Requirements Prospective candidates for the …
Preamble The Postgraduate programmes in the Department aim at producing valuable experts in specialized fields of Materials and Metallurgical Engineering. It is also targeted at …